WHY FORM 1095-A
The following information applies only to persons having insurance policies written through the Marketplace (Exchange).
If anyone in your household had a Marketplace plan in 2015, you should have received Form1095-A Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
1) Don’t file your taxes until you have an accurate 1095-A form.
2) It includes information about Marketplace plans for everyone in your household having a Marketplace plan in 2015.
3) It is issued by the Marketplace, not the IRS.
4) You should have received it by mail or in your online Marketplace account.
5) Keep your 1095-A forms with your important tax information, like W-2 forms and other records.
6) The 1095-A provides the details to complete form 8962 that is filed with your tax return if you are receiving a tax credit with your health insurance.
HOW TO FIND YOUR 1095-A ONLINE
- Log in to your Marketplace account.
- Select your 2015 application – not your 2016 application.
- Select “Tax forms” from the menu on the left.
- Download your Form 1095-A. You may have more than one form for your household. If so, download each of them.
- If you can’t find it in your Marketplace account, contact the Marketplace Call Center at 1-800-318-2596.
WHAT’S ON FORM 1095-A AND WHY YOU NEED IT
- Your 1095-A contains information about Marketplace plans any member of your household had in 2015, including:
1) Premiums paid
2) Premium tax credits used
3) A figure called “second lowest cost Silver plan (SLCSP)”
-You will use information from your 1095-A to fill out Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PDF) and
1095-A instructions (PDF). This is how you will “reconcile” – determine if there is any difference
between the premium tax credit you received and the amount for which you qualified.
HOW TO KNOW IF YOUR SLCSP INFORMATION IS CORRECT
Look at Part III, column B of your 1095-A, titled “Monthly second lowest cost silver plan (SLCSP) premium.” It should show figures for each month any household member had the Marketplace plan.
The SLCSP premium is incorrect if:
– Part III, Column B has a “0” or is blank for any month someone in your household had
the Marketplace plan
– You did not tell the Marketplace about changes to your household – such as an increase or decrease to your income, having a baby, moving, getting married or divorced, or losing a dependent.
If either applies to you, you will use the “tax tool” to get the premium for your second lowest cost silver plan. You do not need to request a new form if your SLCSP is the only thing wrong with your 1095-A. Just print out a copy of your tax tool results. You will use it and the rest of the information from your 1095-A when you file.
NOTE: If you receive a 1095-A for your policy written off the Marketplace (direct with the insurance company), you do not file it with your income tax forms. You should retain it with your tax records.